- After talking and/or emailing with you, I email an invoice with all options and charges clearly marked. Instructions for the deposit (PayPal, check, money order, echeck) are also included. (time: one hour)
- After receiving your payment, I go to the local lumber yard and carefully select wood for strength, appearance and straightness and transport everything including paint or stain, lights, etc. back to my shop.
- I then measure and cut each piece using a super-fine 62 tooth saw blade on an electric miter saw and table saw, carefully marking each piece for it's “crown” and best side.
- I then assemble the bed using galvanized (no rust) screws and/or nails and Titie-Bond Premium wood glue. After checking the bed for “square” and filling any nail holes with wood filler, I allow the glue and wood filler, if any, to dry overnight.
- I then stand the whole bed on edge which for a king and queen is almost 7' high. Using a scaffold I sand the platform in one piece to assure that the corners are super-smooth and rounded. All “touchable” edges and corners of the bed including the slats are sanded to make for a fine feel and professional finish, so you don't have to worry about splinters or sharp edges. I use a two step sanding process. First, I use a random orbit sander and then hand sand edges and corners for a very smooth finish and feel.
- Paint: I use Behr Premium paint with primer from Home Depot, two or more coats, hand sanding between coats.
- Stain: Two or more coats of Minwax penetraing oil stain and sealer finished with one or more coats of satin polyurethane.
- I then cut, drill and hand sand each slat so your bedding and hands don't get snagged while making the bed.
- When I arrive at your home, I will usually ask someone to help move the bed into place. I will then attach the legs and any options (headboard, lights and/or drawers). I will then help you install your bedding. I will test the bed :) Depending on options this takes about an hour.
- I will then ask for the balance due. Check or cash is preferred; PayPal is fine, too.
... And there you have a Ted the Bed